Re: Loading AUCTeX out of Git repo

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Loading AUCTeX out of Git repo
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 22:07:14 +0100

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Arash & Uwe,
>>> this topic has been discussed couple of times and I think we should
>>> add a recipe to the manual.  My suggestion looks like this, any
>>> comments welcome:

> LGTM.

>> I do compile auctex regularly from git master.
>>
>> What's against the idea to run
>>
>> make install ????
>>
>> I find it a bit cleaner to separate the repository from the
>> installation.

> I find it a bit more convenient to run directly from the checkout in
> order to be sure to run the most current version (or the version I've
> explicitly checked out).  With "make install", you are running the
> version of the last "make install", without "make install" you are
> running the version of the last "git pull".

I am not sure I understand this. Here is what I do

** Clone

$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/auctex.git
$ cd auctex
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --with-emacs=/opt/emacs28/bin/emacs --prefix=/home/oub/ALLES/
--with-lispdir=/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git --without-texmf-dir

$ make
$ make install

** pull the latest change

$ \rm -rf /home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git

$ make clean
$ make distclean
$ git pull
$ ./configure --with-emacs=/opt/emacs28/bin/emacs --prefix=/home/oub/ALLES/
--with-lispdir=/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git --without-texmf-dir

$ make
$ make install

You are saying that this would not result in the auctex pkg from the
latest git pull?

Uwe