Re: amsart: shh I forgot to correct the fortification of one command sor

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: amsart: shh I forgot to correct the fortification of one command sorry
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 16:30:27 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Yes and no, here is my workflow.
>
>     1. I edit something in say amsart.el
>
>     2. I run 'C-x 4 a' adding whatever is needed. In order to comply the
> conventions I have
> (defun auctex-fill-set ()
>   "Set the fill column to auxtex preset values `74'."
>   (interactive)
>   (set-fill-column 74))

In general, this shouldn't be necessary: I presume you use AUCTeX out of
a local repo and AUCTeX has a .dir-locals.el in the repo.  It sets
`fill-column' to 74 for change-log-mode, so you don't need the function
above (except you have some other setup which makes it necessary).

> (add-hook 'change-log-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I have

  (add-hook 'text-mode-hook #'turn-on-auto-fill)

>     2. However, I sometimes have a couple of commits, so in order to
>        generate a patch I have to rebase (collapse (hg speech)). Then
>        emacs pops up for the commit message and there emacs is in text
>        mode not in vc-hg-log-edit-mode, maybe this is the problem I have
>        to chekck in the future

Thanks.

> Well there is one in CTAN, and it is quite large 😉.

This is what I get:

    -> texdoc -l amsart
    1 pathto/doc/latex/amscls-doc/author_handbook_journals.pdf
       = AMS Author Handbook for Journal Classes

I briefly looked at the .pdf, but couldn't find any amsart specific
content in it, so I looked at amsart.cls :)

> I usually use article mode together with amsmath, amsthm etc and only
> switch to amsart when I submit/upload, so I am not an experienced
> amsart user, but maybe I will be in the future and that is why I
> thought of a more gradual approach, mind you that amsart.el dwelled in
> auctex for years without any progress 😇

That would be great, and I think it is done without major effort 👍

> Ok I will try that later.
>
> Thanks again for your suggestions.

Welcome, and thanks for working on this.

Best, Arash