Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 09:43:38 -0400

Tassilo Horn [2022-09-20 08:38:27] wrote:
>> What I'm really asking here is if there's a willingness to introduce
>> the inevitable bit of breakage in exchange for a supposed longer term
>> benefit, and/or if someone can think of a better way to move towards a
>> better long-term arrangement than the status quo.
> I wonder why/if it's important that the AUCTeX modes identify as the
> builtin modes, i.e., what would be the issue with having (La)TeX-mode
> major-modes which have no relationship to (la)tex-mode at all plus a
> setup command users would call in their init file in order to modify
> `auto-mode-alist' so that the AUCTeX modes are added?

It might cause problems for people with `-*- latex -*-` in their files.
But other than that, it's also an option, indeed.

Personally, I like the idea that `auto-mode-alist` (and mode cookies)
should describe the type of a file, rather than the specific mode to use
for it, but that's just me (and Emacs doesn't make that convenient
since it doesn't offer the needed indirection).

        Stefan