Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 15:49:34 +0200

>> I wonder why/if it's important that the AUCTeX modes identify as the
>> builtin modes, i.e., what would be the issue with having (La)TeX-mode
>> major-modes which have no relationship to (la)tex-mode at all plus a
>> setup command users would call in their init file in order to modify
>> `auto-mode-alist' so that the AUCTeX modes are added?
>
> It might cause problems for people with `-*- latex -*-` in their
> files.  But other than that, it's also an option, indeed.
>
> Personally, I like the idea that `auto-mode-alist` (and mode cookies)
> should describe the type of a file, rather than the specific mode to
> use for it, but that's just me

Could you elaborate a bit here?  I can't quite follow.

Anyway: where the actual complaints not more or less like "I want to use
the stock tex/latex modes but also with cdlatex which requires the
auctex package which then hijacks my editing"?  If that was the case,
then maybe the only thing to be done was to make the "hijacking"
explicit.

I think that wouldn't be a bad idea anyway (except for compatibility
reasons) because nowadays we all agree that merely installing and