Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 16:28:45 +0200

>>> "SM" == Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>> 1. Why can't latex-mode not be removed/substituted by auctex?
> For technical/administrative/historical reasons.

>> 2. What's about reftex? Right now, since auctex provides a mayor
>> mode, you can put it in a hook to startup reftex when you open a
>> latex file with auctex installed. Would that be a problem, if
>> auctex is no longer a «real» mayor mode?

> The change would/will introduce breakage.  The intention is to minimize
> (and fix) as much of it as possible.  I suspect that if you provide
> a test for AUCTeX's test suite verifying this behavior, then we'll make
> sure it keeps working :-)

I see, I don't have much of a say here, I don't have write access to the
repository, I just test and occasionally send some patches.

However I have been using AucTeX at least since 1992 maybe longer,
knowing it as a very useful and stable platform and always as a mayor
mode.

I have seen these discussion (there were another one about cdlatex by
the same author) by someone who in my opinion did not really bother much
to read the documentation or search the internet (googling)[1] but I
feel that the change you propose it is a bit too much!
It might causes problems, headaches etc and to shake a program that is so
stable [2], just because of this discussion, well...

So I would recommend not to try to please that specific complain and to
leave things as they are.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  not that I have done sometimes a bit the same...😇

[2]  and is so essential for my everyday work