Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 18:10:23 -0400

> Maybe we could start by stating some goals:
>
> - AUCTeX should not set the `major-mode` to point to
>   non-AUCTeX functions (even if/when it overrides those functions).
>
> - Cleanup the mode function names.  Currently, AUCTeX's LaTeX mode is
>   variously called:
>
>     latex-mode
>     TeX-latex-mode
>     LaTeX-mode
>
>   AUCTeX should pick one and stick to it as much as possible (e.g. fix
>   all the docs and have the auxiliary user-exposed variables be named
>   accordingly to the base major mode name).

Maybe other goals could be to reduce user-confusion by having only "one"
mode, tho it's not clear what that would mean.  But I think we should
come up with a long-term plan (which can include changes in Emacs's
built-in `tex-mode.el`: co-evolution is more difficult, but if we can
agree on a long term plan, we can then figure out how to get there
incrementally).

        Stefan

PS: For the record, I'm one of the those Emacs users who doesn't use
AUCTeX: I stopped using AUCTeX many years ago when I decided
that since AUCTeX couldn't be part of Emacs, I should "dogfeed".
Now that it's in GNU ELPA that reason doesn't really apply any more,
but I keep using that mode out of habit.  I'd be just as happy with AUCTeX
which I was using quite happily before.