Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 17:22:29 -0400

> Indeed. I learned people are often tempted to use `latex-' prefix to
> customize the behavior of AUCTeX. It means that, in addition to
> `latex-mode-hook', `latex-mode-map' and `latex-mode-syntax-table' (and
> their counterparts of plain-tex-mode, texinfo-mode and doctex-mode) are
> potential sources of similar confusion. :-(
>
> Then the idea of turning AUCTeX into minor mode itself does not help.

Not necessarily, but it could if we can arrange for latex-mode and
auctex-mode not to collide in their keymaps (and syntax table, ...), so
that entries added to `latex-mode-map` wouldn't be hidden by the
auctex-mode-map (e.g. if that map was added with lower priority than
latex-mode-map).

> (a) In addition to being minor mode, AUCTeX uses lower case
>     `latex-mode-hook', `latex-mode-map' and `latex-mode-syntax-table'.
>     In this case, variable aliases `LaTeX-mode-hook' ->
>     `latex-mode-hook' etc. would also be necessary for compatibility.

It could also just run `latex-mode-hook` in addition to what it already
runs, without setting up any alias between that and `LaTeX-mode-hook`.

> (b) AUCTeX abandons the relationship between `LaTeX-mode' and
>     `latex-mode'. I.e. `LaTeX-mode' no longer pretends to be
>     `latex-mode'.

I think whether it pretends to be is a separate question from whether it
redirects `latex-mode` to its own implementation.

E.g. we could start by setting `major-mode` to `LaTeX-mode` rather than
`latex-mode`.

        Stefan