Running pdftex on auctex.texi with texinfo 2023-01-02.21 fails

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Running pdftex on auctex.texi with texinfo 2023-01-02.21 fails
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 15:52:15 +0100

Hi,

happy new year to all.  I have a problem building AUCTeX from the git
repo where pdftex-ing the manual (auctex.texi) fails.  I think this is
an issue with the latest texinfo which is

  \def\texinfoversion{2023-01-02.21}

provided by TeXlive.  Steps to reproduce in a shell:

 • In doc/ directory, do 'make clean'
 • Then do 'pdftex auctex.texi'
 • And again 'pdftex auctex.texi'

The first run passes, the second one says:

(./auctex.toc
! Argument of @TeX has an extra }.
<inserted text>
                @par