Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:55:20 +0200

Uwe Brauer via Discussion list for AUCTeX developers <auctex-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

>>   - There's also a completely different alternative: make the
>>     externals/elpa the new "main" branch and drop master and tarball
>>     releases altogether.  Is there still a justification for having
>>     them?  I mean, we dropped XEmacs support anyway and it should be
>>     easy enough for distros to just use the ELPA tarballs as basis for
>>     their distro packages.
>
> Just to be sure.
> For  any of these two proposals:
>
> It would be still possible to pull (fetch) and compile auctex
> independently of emacs?

Yes, although I'd recommend to use the ELPA-devel package which would
automatically be built for every new commit so that you don't have to
hassle with pulling and building yourself.

For example, I use some packages from the ELPA devel archive like so:

(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("gnu-devel" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/";) t)

(setopt package-archive-priorities
        '(("gnu" . 10)
          ("nongnu" . 10)
          ("melpa" . 10)
          ;; Lower priority because I want to explicitly define for a single
          ;; package that this archive is to be used by pinning it there.
          ("gnu-devel" . 0)))

(use-package ef-themes
  :ensure t
  ;; Use the bleeding-edge package from gnu-devel instead of the
  ;; released version from the gnu ELPA archive.
  :pin gnu-devel
  ...)