Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 22:07:27 +0200

>>> "AE" == Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Tassilo,
> Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Many thanks for working on this (and to Stefan as well).

>> So basically, we should decide now if we switch to going ELPA-only in
>> which case we'd not use master anymore but develop directly in main.
>> (I'd be in favour of it, obviously.)
>>
>> We could also keep master as our development branch and still use the
>> new "main" branch (which I would probably rename to "elpa" in that case)
>> for elpa and turn on auto-sync.  It would be a bit less automatic: we'd
>> need to keep merging from master to the "main" / "elpa" regularly and
>> increment the Version manually for releases.  But it's still better than
>> the status quo (less committed generated files; better Version
>> determination).

> I was thinking about this too and my vote is to go with option 2 (i.e.,
> not your favorite ;-).

Given the problem I just encountered and reported I would like to
support that vote: compiling and testing from the current master seems
much more flexible and general.

(but I have very little say on these matters, of course, but it would be
sad if I can't test emacs without a lot of hassle)

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.