auctex

Re: Keybinding C-M-a for LaTeX-find-matching-begin does not work!

From: Heiko Schröder
Subject: Re: Keybinding C-M-a for LaTeX-find-matching-begin does not work!
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 22:23:21 +0200

Hi Tassilo, thanks very much.
Hm, the docs are a bit outdated.  C-M-a is bound to `beginning-of-defun'
which in turn calls `beginning-of-defun-function' which AUCTeX sets to
`LaTeX-find-matching-begin'.
Hm, a bit peculiar, because M-x LaTeX-find-matching-begin says after the action took place, that I can invoke it by C-M-a.
But that is not true.  It does NOTHING.
What does C-h v beginning-of-defun-function RET in your LaTeX buffer
say?

I have copied it.  But I wonder, if that helps:

========= snip ==================

beginning-of-defun-function is a variable defined in ‘lisp.el’.
Its value is nil

  This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

Documentation:
If non-nil, function for ‘beginning-of-defun-raw’ to call.
This is used to find the beginning of the defun instead of using the
normal recipe (see ‘beginning-of-defun’).  Major modes can define this
if defining ‘defun-prompt-regexp’ is not sufficient to handle the mode’s
needs.

The function takes the same argument as ‘beginning-of-defun’ and should
behave similarly, returning non-nil if it found the beginning of a defun.
Ideally it should move to a point right before an open-paren which encloses
the body of the defun.

========== snap ====================

It's always good to provide some minimal sample snippet and a
reproduction recipe.  Right now, I can only say "works for me with the

I do not know exactly, what is meant.  I created an environment:

\begin{center}

   This ist a text.

\end{center}

C-M-e places the cursor at the end of the \end-line.  C-M-a does nothin.

  I have bound it for testing to C-ch and C-ca, and it works fine.

But I cannot bind it myself to C-M-a.

If I try it, it does nothing at all.

Although Emacs says, that it is bound to C-M-a.

Regards Heiko