audio-video

Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 21:12:01 -0400

You response to my point about inequalities of wealth missed the
point.  Rather than restate it here, I will publish an article about
the issue.

    No. I just say  social freedom  or  right  for what you just call
     freedom  and  technical freedom  or  ability  for what you call
     practical opportunity .

By stretching the word "freedom" so that it equates to "range of
options", you hide the distinction on which our campaign is based.  To
the extent that you succeed, you interfere with the public's
understanding of what we stand for.

    We can’t because we need this “purely linguistic” way of recalling the
    strong link between what you call “freedom” (and I call “social
freedom”
    or “right”) and what you call “functionality” or “capacity”
(and I call
    “technical freedom” or “ability”).

This says that the confusion is no accident -- it is intentional.

Unfortunately that means we must not cooperate with your organization,
because we don't want to help you confuse people or let people think
we agree with it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation