autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #9994] Build fixes for configure.ac and bootstrap.sh

From: James Morris
Subject: [patch #9994] Build fixes for configure.ac and bootstrap.sh
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 11:53:28 -0500 (EST)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

These two patches are fixes for some problems I encountered when trying to
build the autoconf-archive from source.

The first patch is a fix for the use of 'echo -n' in configure.ac. My system's
/bin/sh seems to conform more strictly to POSIX and my echo will print its
arguments verbatim. This means that after running ./configure, the M4FILES and
TEXIFILES variables had '-n' as their first file which resulted in this
error:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `-n', needed by `autoconf-archive.info'.
Stop.

I replaced the use of 'echo -n' in configure.ac with the m4_esyscmd_s macro
that strips the trailing newline.

The second patch is just fixing a small nuisance I saw when running
bootstrap.sh. When bootstrap.sh calls gnulib-tool, gnulib-tool adds duplicate
entries to .gitignore and doc/.gitignore. Adding the --no-vc-files option
stops that from happening.

File Attachments: