autoconf

Re: C23 support in Autoconf

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: C23 support in Autoconf
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 11:53:53 -0700

On 2024-04-30 11:49, Zack Weinberg wrote:
I think we ought to prioritize giving
package authors a way to control which edition of the C standard AC_PROG_CC
will select, rather than just always using the most recent one we know about.

Yes, we could add a new macro to do that, or a new argument to AC_PROG_CC. Presumably it would have to be called very early.

Although the new keywords and the lack of K&R support is a problem, it's a problem people will have anyway as C23 spreads. So a new macro (or new argument) would merely be a backward compatibility hack for people who for some reason can't fix their old code, and the hack should be documented with that in mind.