automake-ng

[Automake-ng] What’s Wrong With GNU make?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: [Automake-ng] What’s Wrong With GNU make?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 20:18:31 -0500 (CDT)

Quite by accident (Google hit) I ran across this paper which describes what is wrong with GNU make:

  http://www.conifersystems.com/whitepapers/gnu-make/

While I would add more (different) greviances, the paper seems to be pretty accurate and describes many issues I had not thought of before.

Presumably Automake NG will try to work-around many of these shortcomings of GNU make even though it is based on GNU make. A proper fix would require improvements to GNU make itself, or even a new build tool.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn