automake

Re: How to install data / lib in more than 1 place?

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: How to install data / lib in more than 1 place?
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 20:44:06 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn schrieb:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:

Hi, thanks.  That was fast!

avrfoo_LIBRARIES = libfoo.a

avrbar_LIBRARIES = libbar.a

Will this also work with same file names? Like

avrfoo_LIBRARIES = libfoo.a

avrbar_LIBRARIES = libfoo.a

or would that confuse the tools?

I am not sure. I would assume so even though the documentation suggests support for only installing libraries to two standard locations. GNU coding standards (and Autotools) proposes and supports certain standards, but it is possible to go beyond those standards.

It should also be possible to provide different CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS for objects built for those libraries (e.g for different CPU targets), even if they start from the same source files.

hmmm. The purpose was that it's known in advance that the libfoo.a in question are binary the same, and to avoid respective build overhead.

It appears to work though, and even if the libs are built multiple times, I could reduce the number of Makefile.am's from ~1200 to ~250.

Give it a try and find out!

It appears to work, at least on my PC. Dunno what happens on other machines, thought, when some maintainer runs automake there...

Thank you for your support,

Johann

Bob