automake

Re: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2024 18:32:01 -0400

  > I'm currently looking at adding support for this to
  > https://github.com/hlein/distro-backdoor-scanner.

Are you one of the important developers of that?  I hope so,

There is a grave problem with github.com -- almost all access (even
read-only) requires running nonfree JS code.  We shouldn't link to it
from GNU packages or gnu.org.  (It is possible to do git clone,
if the user knows how to figure out the URL to use, but a user
can't get that URL from the github.com home page.)

So we are starting to removng links to github.com.

If you have influence in that project, could you ask them to create
a mirror on a repo that doesn't have that problem?  One we could
post links to?

Even better, to move it to a more fredeom-respecting repository.