autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us

From: rhinokitty
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] Welcome back to autonomo.us
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:05:41 -0700

Hi!

OK, so I'll bite on that tasty morsel hanging on the shiny thing...

I think one good project for autonomo.us would be to start doing exposés.

This group has a good technical understanding of the threats to privacy, autonomy and freedom that many cloud based services pose, so a good thing to go after would be to show the most egregious abuses of such services.

The tech industry needs a better watchdog. The EFF is awesome, but focuses on legislative work more than corporate accountability. A perfect niche!

Advocacy is not dead. Some great examples can be found just to your left in the environmental, labor and human rights arenas.

Here is one great example of a recent campaign against Hershey:

http://laborrights.org/stop-child-forced-labor/cocoa-campaign/tell-hershey-to-raise-the-bar-this-easter-and-passover

Who knew that buying chocolate could support slave labor?! They offer evidence, cite examples, have excellent messaging, and alert the public. Classic corporate watchdog!

autonomo.us could do the same for the tech industry. Has everything that needs to be written about the privacy implications of using Facebook been said? Hardly!

Everyone is very excited to see the revolutions in the Middle East, but everytime I read a news story I can almost hear the reporter mutter, "This revolution sponsored by Twitter."

Where is the critical voice? Even on NPR's On the Media is not as vocal a critic on the issue as one would expect:

http://www.onthemedia.org/topics/the_internet/1

Many un-critical and technologically ignorant ideas float to the general public on the FM dial through this venue. Perhaps they should be interviewing someone from autonomo.us about Twitter and Facebook once and a while?

Thoughts?

--ian--