autonomous-discuss

[autonomo.us] Liberation Technology Hot but Disorganized

From: Robert Steele
Subject: [autonomo.us] Liberation Technology Hot but Disorganized
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:38:44 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I have been an admirer of the open source software movement since it began, and am the primary mover for its content counterpart, Open Source Intelligence (OSINT), having trained 7,500 mid-career officers and helped 90 countries (except the USA, the secret intelligence community is terrified of anything that will show its $80 billion a year in port to be rancid).  When David Weinberger and then Jock Gill wrote about Open Spectrum I became very excited by that, and conceptualized both the Open Source Tri-Fecta and Open Everything, visible here in a single graphic anyone can use or remix:

Graphic: Open Everything

The recent events in Tunesia and then Egypt and other countries appear to have energized the Liberation Technology discussion, but I still do not see any reasonable structured roadmap.  Separately some others have formed a Google Group on The Next Net, and the P2P Foundation has both a category and an Autonomous Internet Roadmap.  Other efforts like Freedom House appear to be full of errors and misconceptions as the Washington money for moth crowd including the New America Foundation rushes to claim they are at the forefront.  Here is one link that leads to most of this other stuff that I have found.

Autonomous Internet [Open, Free, Distributed]

You can see how much I admire your logo, which at least for me has a huge resonance with the Statue of Liberty, I have made your logo central to my post that will regularly updated.

The purpose of this message is to salute all of you, and to suggest that you create some kind of roadmap structure within which your many disaprate ideas, initiatives, and inventions can be appreciated.  Ultimately I believe the Internet must be a commons in which we the people own the entire structure and there is no government and no corporation that can shut down any part of it.  I know many of you feel that way, and I am especially concerned about the USA, where it is now clear to most that there is no difference between the Republican and Democratic two-party tyranny that fronts for Wall Street--Bonds goes to jail, Goldman Sachs gets a trillion from us.  The US Government is out of control and the time has come to worry about the home front.

I look forward to all that I might learn from this list.

Semper Fidelis,
Robert Steele