autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] GNU MediaGoblin officially announced

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] GNU MediaGoblin officially announced
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 11:40:14 -0400

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 16:14 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 04/05/11 16:10, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> >
> > Also, Deviantart's name has "deviant" in it and their mascot has horns,
> > and they seem to be doing just fine.
>
> Nintendo Wii.
>
> That is all. ;-)
>
> - Rob.

Nintendo is a very large company with a very well-funded market research
department. Large companies relentlessly optimize. If they do something,
there is a very high probability that there's a good reason for it. To
put it bluntly, a highly funded marketing department is probably better
at marketing than you are.

First impressions _matter_, the first impression a lot of people will
get of a software project is the name, and so a catchy name matters.
There's a simple way to find catchy names: study human psychology in the
context of your target audience and find something that optimizes for
whatever you want to optimize for. This is simple, yet hard, and not
many free software projects can do it, but it doesn't mean we should
deny reality.

Free network services are, right now, fighting an impossible battle
against entrenched enemies with millions of times the resources that we
have. We need every advantage, and that includes things like catchy
names.