autonomous-discuss

[autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator

From: John Sullivan
Subject: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:45:17 -0700

I'm sending this here because I expect this job to have a relationship
with autonomo.us -- doing what we can to help promote the group's work,
and possibly to have some involvement in coordinating/nagging about
group members doing regular blogging.

<http://www.fsf.org/news/the-fsf-is-hiring-seeking-a-full-time-outreach-and-communication-coordinator>

## The FSF is hiring: Seeking a full-time outreach and communication
coordinator

The Free Software Foundation (FSF), a Boston-based 501(c)(3) charity
with a worldwide mission to protect freedoms critical to the
computer-using public, seeks a motivated and organized tech-friendly
Boston-based individual to be its full-time outreach and communication
coordinator.

This newly created position, reporting to the executive director, will
work closely with our [campaigns](https://fsf.org/campaigns),
[licensing](https://fsf.org/licensing), and
[technical](https://fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin) staff, as well as our
board of directors, to edit, publish, and promote high-quality,
effective materials both digital and printed.

These materials are a critical part of advancing the FSF's work to
support the GNU Project, free software adoption, free media formats,
and freedom on the Internet; and to oppose DRM, software patents, and
proprietary software.

Some of the position's more important responsibilities include:

  * stewarding the online publication and editing process for all
    outreach staff; including copyediting, formatting, posting, and
    maintaining material on our Web sites; and sending out e-mail
    messages to our lists;

  * producing and improving our monthly e-mail newsletter the [Free
    Software Supporter](https://fsf.org/fss);

  * improving the effectiveness of our audio and video materials use;

  * editing and building our biannual printed
    [Bulletin](https://fsf.org/bulletin);

  * promoting our work and the work of others in the area of computing
    freedom on social networking sites;

  * helping to produce fundraising materials and assisting with our
    fundraising drives;

  * cultivating the community around the
    [LibrePlanet](https://libreplanet.org) wiki and network, including
    the annual conference;

  * working with and encouraging volunteers; and

  * being an approachable, humble, and friendly representative of the
    FSF to our worldwide community of existing supporters and the
    broader public, both in person and online.

A successful candidate will have strong editing skills, especially in
the area of copyediting, and will take pride in working with a team to
create consistently polished and effective materials.

While this is a job for a person who is passionate about technology
and its social impact, it is not a technical position. The main
technical requirement is the willingness to learn to use many new and
possibly unfamiliar pieces of software, with a positive attitude. That
being said, experience with any of the following technologies will be
considered a big plus: GNU/Linux, Plone, Drupal, CiviCRM, Ikiwiki,
Subversion, Git, CVS, Ssh, JavaScript, CSS, HTML, Emacs, LaTeX,
Inkscape, GIMP, Markdown, and MediaWiki.

Because the FSF works globally and seeks to have our materials
distributed in as many languages as possible, multilingual candidates
will have an advantage. English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch,
Mandarin, Czech, and Malagasy, are represented among current FSF staff.

With our small staff of thirteen, each person makes a clear
contribution. We work hard, but offer a humane and fun work
environment.

The FSF is a mature but growing organization that provides great
potential for advancement; existing staff get the first chance at any
new job openings. If you're hired and don't like your job title, we
might be able to change it. We're flexible like that.

## Benefits and salary

The job must be worked on-site at FSF's downtown Boston offices. An
on-site interview will be required with the executive director.

This job is a union position. The salary is fixed at $49k and is
non-negotiable. Other benefits include:

  * full family health coverage through Blue Cross/Blue Shield's HMO
    Blue program,
  * subsidized dental plan,
  * four weeks of paid vacation annually,
  * seventeen paid holidays annually,
  * public transit commuting cost reimbursement,
  * 403(b) program through TIAA-CREF,
  * yearly cost-of-living pay increases, and
  * potential for an annual performance bonus.

## Application instructions

Applications must be submitted via email to <address@hidden>. The
email must contain the subject line, "Outreach and Communications
Coordinator". A complete application should include:

  * resume,
  * cover letter,
  * writing sample (1000 words or less),
  * links to published work online, and
  * three edits you would suggest to this job posting.

All materials must be in a free format (such as plain text, PDF, or
OpenDocument, and not Microsoft Word). Email submissions that do not
follow these instructions will probably be overlooked. No phone calls,
please.

**Applications must be received by 10:00am EDT on Monday, May 20th.**

The FSF is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate
against any employee or application for employment on the basis of
race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation,
national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status
recognized by federal, state or local law. We value diversity in our
workplace.

## About the Free Software Foundation

The Free Software Foundation, founded in 1985, is dedicated to
promoting computer users' right to use, study, copy, modify, and
redistribute computer programs. The FSF promotes the development and
use of free (as in freedom) software -- particularly the GNU operating
system and its GNU/Linux variants -- and free documentation for free
software. The FSF also helps to spread awareness of the ethical and
political issues of freedom in the use of software, and its Web sites,
located at fsf.org and gnu.org, are an important source of information
about GNU/Linux. Donations to support the FSF's work can be made at
<http://donate.fsf.org>. Its headquarters are in Boston, MA, USA.

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.