autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] FSF is hiring: outreach and communication coordinator
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 10:21:29 +0100

Matt Lee <address@hidden>
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:00 PM, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Trying to use an autonomo.us to hire an employee - you know, someone
> > that surrenders some of their autonomy in exchange for money, rather
> > than working as part of an independent and autonomous cooperative - is
> > sort of amusingly ironic.
>
> Sort of like a union?
>
> FSF is a union shop.

Ah my half-baked musings on unions probably won't get us far, even
though I used to work for one and was an enthusiastic member of
another, but I see most of them as a useful but reactionary
counterweight to the inherently autonomy-depleting nature of
employment.  They can restore some autonomy by pooling it with other
workers, but aren't as good as not losing any in the first place.

It's good that FSF is a union shop, as far as that goes.

More on this sort of themes at http://www.cyberunions.org/ but I
warn you that they've just announced that they're probably switching
(from jitsi or mumble, I think) to Google Hangouts. :-(

Regards,