autonomous-discuss

Re: [autonomo.us] pumped

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [autonomo.us] pumped
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:51:02 +0100

On 14/07/13 21:27, Kuno Woudt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 07/14/2013 09:29 PM, MJ Ray wrote:
>> On 14/07/13 05:41, rsiddharth wrote:
>>> But, with regard to the pumpio switch over, Evan did send out a
>>> message asking people to set up their own (statusnet) instances, if
>>> they wanted to be on the statusnet network.
>>
>> As http://status.net/open-source/issues/803 (ability to backup/restore
>> one's details) remained unfixed, that was rather like saying "you can
>> leave if you want to, as long as you leave naked with nothing".
>
> I had no trouble making a backup. [...]

And how did you restore them to another site?

I know no other social network has working migration yet, but that
doesn't make it any less necessary if you're asking people to move to
their own statusnet instances!

> don't think #803 was the reason you did not move, you probably could
> have moved if you really wanted to :)

It was part of the reason.  Another part was I had no idea just how
horribly broken pump.io still would be when the switch happened.  Like
now I'm getting emails telling me I'm being mentioned and when I click
the links, they're text server errors.

But hey, I'm sure you know why I do stuff better than I do :-/

> If you still want to set up a StatusNet or GNU Social instance I suggest
> you either wait until the backups are on archive.org, or e-mail Evan
> asking for a copy.

Well I've got a bit of a wait while the coop decides which software to
move to.  For now, I'm https://friends.mayfirst.org/profile/mjray

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op