autonomous-discuss

[autonomo.us] Are these services free or proprietary?

From: Danyl Strype
Subject: [autonomo.us] Are these services free or proprietary?
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 16:16:36 +1200

Kia ora koutou

I'm supporting a cooperative developing online decision-making
software under the AGPL. They recently released a new privacy policy
for their hosted service, including this list of external
dependencies:
https://www.loomio.org/third_parties

Now obviously Amazon and Bing are proprietary and undesirable in every
way. What about the other companies on the list? If Loomio aspires to
be a free network service, and I think they do, what packages or
services could they swap in?

Thanks in advance for any advice people have time to share.

He mihi nui

Danyl Strype
Community Developer
Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The
last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will
get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will
submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into -
what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of
impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which
you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you
can do nothing."
- Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'