avr-chat

Re: Avrdude error when uploading

From: Konrad Rosenbaum
Subject: Re: Avrdude error when uploading
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2022 10:44:41 +0200

Hi,

the Nano clones from China often have bad or no bootloaders. This can be very frustrating. I have dozens of those and only the ones I flashed myself have the correct bootloader...

My recommendation: buy an USBasp clone on Amazon or eBay (a bit under 10Euro or 10$US) and forget about the on-board bootloader - it is much much easier to use the proper ISP port and dispense with fiddling with the finicky reset logic of the bootloader. If you can afford it you could buy an AVR ISP mkII clone instead for about 20-25 bucks - those are (in my experience) a bit easier to use and even more stable than the USBasp.

regards, Konrad