Re: [avrdude-dev] patch to convert to autoconf

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] patch to convert to autoconf
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:45:44 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

:) Also, I had to adjust bootstrap for FreeBSD:
:)
:) ------------------------------------------------------------
:) #! /bin/sh
:)
:) set -x
:)
:) ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.6
:) ACLOCAL=aclocal14
:)
:) AUTOHEADER=autoheader-2.53
:) AUTOHEADER=autoheader
:)
:) AUTOCONF=autoconf-2.53
:) AUTOCONF=autoconf
:)
:) AUTOMAKE=automake-1.6
:) AUTOMAKE=automake14
:)
:) $ACLOCAL
:) $AUTOHEADER
:) $AUTOCONF
:) $AUTOMAKE -a -c
:) ------------------------------------------------------------
:)
:) Just version differences.  I'm not sure what the best way for
:) determining these is - it looks like any number of versions of these
:) programs might be installed, depending on what's current in the ports
:) tree which is a moving target.

In my experience, autoconf and automake have poor backwards/forwards
compatibility. autoconf-2.13 can't handle 2.53 configure.{ac,in} files
without some hick-ups. Same with automake-1.4 <--> 1.6.x. We've had
these issues with avr-libc and set up the bootstrap file to use fairly
specific files.

One reason I'd like to use the newer versions is the hope that those
developers will make thing more backward compatible (down to 2.53 and
1.6) that we won't have to deal with it.

That said, there's some pretty big changes from automake-1.4 to 1.6.

Which version of autoconf are you using? (checking the FreeBSD
website, it looks like the default is 2.53, and the default automake
is 1.5)

Before I check this in, I need to be sure we're all on the same
channel.

Ted