Re: [avrdude-dev] stk500 and firmware 1.14

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] stk500 and firmware 1.14
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:54:48 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Brian Dean wrote:

:) > I haven't yet looked at what needs to be done to avrdude
:)
:) At present, avrdude does not set any extended device parameters and
:) thus does not issue the "set extended device" command.  You'd probably
:) want to do this within the stk500_initialize() conditionally based on
:) the firmware revision (see stk500_display() for retrieving the
:) firmware revision).
:)
:) In the AVR061 protocol doc's description of the "set extended device"
:) command - what are the parameters it is trying to set?  What is
:) "signal page", "bs2 signal", etc?

Have a look at the "Parallel Programming Parameters, Pin Mapping, and
Commands" section in the m128 datasheed (page 286 in my version).
Those signals are used for h-v parallel programming. Not needed for
spi programming, but the stk500 still needs to set them up for devices
that don't have spi programming interfaces.

The startup order in uisp (which seems to work) is:

- get sync
- get stk500 id string
- send dev params
- get hw, sw maj, sw min versions
- send ext dev params

I think avrdude does this a bit different though.

Ted