Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Release?
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:05:02 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, E. Weddington wrote:

:) On 10 Mar 2003 at 13:05, E. Weddington wrote:
:)
:) > On 10 Mar 2003 at 11:57, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:) > > Eric, I think you need to handle the last two "Empty" sections in
:) > > the windows part before a release.
:)
:) Ok, I'm trying to fill in the Windows installation stuff. I'm writing
:) up the example instructions for building from the source tarball.
:)
:) Building avr-libc for Windows is pretty much the same instructions as
:) on Unix, usually with some variant configure flags. However, I can't
:) make dist on my system to try out the example. I get "no rule to make
:) target 'Changelog', needed by 'distdir'."

What do you get from a command like this?

address@hidden:~/dev/tools/avrdude-cvs/obj$ grep ChangeLog Makefile
DIST_COMMON = README AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog INSTALL Makefile.am \

You should see a ChangeLog in there.

Ok, crap. I think I see the problem. There are both CHANGELOG and
ChangeLog files in cvs. Windows is too lame to handle both.

Should probably just move the contents of CHANGELOG in to ChangeLog
and drop the CHANGELOG.

Another idea (which Joerg won't like ;-) is to move the contents of
CHANGELOG in to NEWS and use ChangeLog for patch level changes. I've
found it quite useful with other projects for quickly figuring out
what someone has committed. Without it, I have to dig about in cvs to
find which files were changed. Also, there's a lot more that happens
than makes it into the CHANGELOG file.

:) So, should I worry about this now? Can Ted build up a source tarball
:) and I just use that? Opinions?

It's a bug. It needs to be fixed.

Ted