[avrdude-dev] Code cleanup and warning removal.

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Code cleanup and warning removal.
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:07:57 -0600

Hello all,

[I've also sent this personally, as the SoBig virus has exploded and Brian
has mentioned a slow down on postings to the list. Sorry for future
duplicates.]

Attached is a patch that does some minor code cleanup mainly for warning
removal. [Ted, let me know if the attachment is in the way that you're
looking for.]

However, there are still some warnings that should be looked at, but I
would prefer those who are most familiar with these sections of code to
check it out:

../avr910.c: In function `avr910_paged_write_flash':
../avr910.c:506: warning: `page_wr_cmd_pending' might be used uninitialized
in this function
../fileio.c: In function `fileio_imm':
../fileio.c:694: warning: `rc' might be used uninitialized in this function
../main.c: In function `do_op':
../main.c:612: warning: int format, long int arg (arg 5)
../main.c:636: warning: int format, long int arg (arg 4)
../main.c: In function `main':
../main.c:713: warning: unused variable `size'
../main.c:719: warning: unused variable `vsize'
../stk500.c: In function `stk500_set_fosc':
../stk500.c:931: warning: `prescale' might be used uninitialized in this
function
../stk500.c:931: warning: `cmatch' might be used uninitialized in this
function

(The line numbers are what I have after this patch.)

Mainly the 4 "<var> might be used uninitialized" warnings, and the 2
warnings about the "int format" for printf calls in main.c need to be
looked at for suspect code.

There are also the warnings about generating the docs, something about
"Overfull \hbox ...", that eventually need to be looked at.

One of the fixes I did for a warning (specifically for Cygwin), used the
C99 feature of declaring a variable anywhere in the block. I don't recall
that it's been specified what C standard should be used in building
avrdude. I do remember seeing other C99 specific features in other parts of
the code. Can we agree to use the C99 + GNU extensions standard on
compilation? Should the compiler flag -std=gnu99 be explicitly generated in
the makefiles?

Thanks,
Eric