Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] stk500: skip empty pages

From: E . Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [RFC] stk500: skip empty pages
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:38:10 GMT

> Hi Eric,

<snip>
> The only issue that I see (aside from '{'s on a line by
themselves for
> 'if' and 'for' blocks), is that this optimization should
_only_ be
> applied to the FLASH.  EEPROM memory supports rewriting
and we should
> honor whatever data is given to us for that.  FLASH, as I
know you
> know, is special and writing 0xff is a no-op, but not so
for EEPROM.

> One of the reasons I had not committed an optimization
like this is
> that I hadn't yet thought of a good way to know whether
we are working
> with FLASH or EEPROM from down in the lower level
routines.

> But I'm all for it - assuming we can differentiate
between those.

See attached.

For the stk500, it can be differentiated, though not the
most efficient way for sure. But it's fairly moot with PC
speeds.

I haven't checked in the general case though (for avr.c as
Ted mentioned).

Eric