Re: [avrdude-dev] Programming Failures

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Programming Failures
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:32:39 -0500

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 01:07:01AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> I really frustrated with my ATMega8515s tonight.

Hmmm ... sounds really strange.  It sounds almost as if the 6 parts
that are failing might not have the SPIEN fuse bit enabled, i.e.,
maybe their fuse bits are buggered such that serial programming won't
work?

Or, perhaps the fuse bits are set such that the device is expecting an
external clock source.  If so, try feeding a 1 MHz square wave into
the Xtal1 input and see if you can gain programming mode.  If that
works, reset the fuse bits appropriately to select your external clock
source.  I've seen at least one report of someone who purchased new
ATmega128's and had a similar problem.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean