Re: [avrdude-dev] /dev/parport0 not recognized

From: Alexander Stohr
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] /dev/parport0 not recognized
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:14:23 +0200

in theory, "ppdev" module should autoload when /dev/parport0 is opened.
in practice the low-level access trough that device is so rarely used that it
might not be created in your distribution.

for better understanding read the parport docu in the linux kernel sources.

in short, parport is a generic server, which gets parport_pc and other driver
modules plugged in that do serve as the true hardware port driver.
then driver modules, as for the "lp" device node and the "parport" device node
will get launched on top of the parport module to service misc requests,
like generic line-printer support or ecp (enhanced communications port)
or, as in this case for the avrdude program and its misc programmer hardware.

-Alex.