[avrdude-dev] AVRDude port to Win2K using MSVC

From: Jack Zkcmbcyk
Subject: [avrdude-dev] AVRDude port to Win2K using MSVC
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:35:37 -0500

Hello!

    For the past few days, I've been trying to re-compile AVRDude using MS VC++
6.0 on my Win 2K machine. I am using AVRDude that I got with a copy of WinAVR I
downloaded last week and I've been using with success so far. The board I'm
using is a prototype board on which I use an Atmel 1200 (implementing a variant
of App Note 910) to ultimately program an ATmega128 part.

    I want to modify the 910 code so I can use it to also download FPGA
configuration data to the ATmega128. I've worked out how I can do the
modifications for the code running on the 1200, but I'm now trying to change
the AVRDude code and that's where I'm in trouble.

    I have so far been able to get to code to compile using MSVC++. I've used
the debugging to try and understand where things go wrong, but anytime I get in
the area having to do with the "Bison/Yacc" files, all hell breaks loose.

    I whish I could skip over that entire area of code, but it seems to be
where the code currently breaks. Not that I am a super coder by any means, but
I find that "Yacc/Bsion" stuff to be really hard to follow. It's got "goto"
statements all over the place and because of the usage of "# line ..." in
multiple places allong with parell code files, the MSVisual C debug step
through mode doesn't work when I get to that code area.

    My first question is: has anyone ever compiled AVRDude using MSVC++ 6.0?

    Second, is there another approach that exists to constructing a list of
items that represent the configuration file? Because that seems to be the
reason for the usage of the Bison/Yacc code is it?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers.