Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Solaris 10 x86?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Solaris 10 x86?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:43:35 +0200

As ad5gb wrote:

> I just moved from FreeBSD 5x to Solaris 10 and I'm wondering if
> anyone has successfully built and used avrdude on Solaris 10?

I finally went and installed a Solaris 10 on my Sun AXi-based old
SPARC workstation here (in parallel to the FreeBSD system that's also
still on it).  Installation took its time on that machine, but now
everything appears to work.

> I have a dual Opteron so the 64bit stuff might be trippping me up
> since I see stuff like this:

Well, there's more 64-bit systems than just Solaris. ;-)

avrdude is known to work well on Linux/x86-64, FreeBSD/amd64, and
FreeBSD/sparc64.  There's a minor issue with a void * -> int ->
void * coercion when using USB (losing 32 bits in the pointer), but
for those systems where libusb is supported, this currently appears
to be harmless.

> ld: warning: symbol `numcodes' has differing sizes:

The strange thing is I've got no idea where that `numcodes' might
come from.  It's not in the avrdude sources.

I've got completely different problems here on Sol10/sparc:

cfmakeraw                           avrdude-serbb_posix.o
ppi_getall                          avrdude-par.o
ppi_setall                          avrdude-par.o
ppi_open                            avrdude-par.o
ppi_clr                             avrdude-par.o
ppi_get                             avrdude-par.o
ppi_set                             avrdude-par.o
ppi_close                           avrdude-par.o

cfmakeraw() is a BSD-specific function we need to write our own copy
of.

We somehow need a configuration option about the inclusion of the
parallel port stuff, and if someone is ambituous enough, Solaris'
ecpp(7D) appears to support what we need, so a hook could be written
for this.

How did you solve the above problems, anyway?

73!