[avrdude-dev] [bug #19644] Avrdude >= 5.2 does not work with STK500v1

From: anonymous
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #19644] Avrdude >= 5.2 does not work with STK500v1
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:15:08 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Davor Ocelic
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Folks,

In Avrdude 5.1, where there is only stk500 option (no difference between
firmware version 1 or 2), avrdude works fine with my STK500v1 board.

>From version 5.2 and onwards, where separate stk500v1 and stk500v2 drivers
have been made, the v1 code apparently got messed up.

The chip signature is read properly, and then avrdude exits on fuse bits.
Here's session transcript, using chip at90s8515 in a smartcard (manually
taking out board signals from ISP6 header and XTAL1 - but that doesn't
matter):

avrdude: device signature = 0x1e9301
avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read fuse properly. Programmer
may not be reliable.
avrdude: safemode: To protect your AVR the programming will be aborted

When I use -u to ignore fuse bits, the program segfaults:

avrdude: writing eeprom (170 bytes):
Writing |         | 0% 0.00s
Segmentation fault

I then tried using the normal 8535 chip inserted on board and
fuse bit reading worked, but the program segfaulted nevertheless.

Then I tried uisp, and it worked on both 8535 and smartcard 8515.

I don't have to mention all the problems this bug has caused me,
since I thought it was a mistake on my part.

Anyway, I'm available for more info - if you can't figure out what changed
from 5.1 to 5.2 by looking at the code, I can give you verbose output or gdb
the issue. I will also test the patch to make sure this is fixed.

Take care,
-doc

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19644>

  Message sent via/by Savannah