[avrdude-dev] looking for simplest protocol that works with m168

From: dcb
Subject: [avrdude-dev] looking for simplest protocol that works with m168
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:06:55 -0600

Hi All (sorry if this is a duplicate), I'm trying to cut down on the arduino bootloader size and need some loader program help.
ref: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233605999/8#8

I can get the bootloader under 1k with a custom java based loader and a trimmed down stk500 command set: 0, Q, U, d, t with flash and eprom support (no fuses)

But arduino and avrdude are pretty tightly integrated so it would be nice if I could figure out how to trim down avrdude to just send bare essential stk500 commands or a flag for another very simple protocol that could be implemented in a small bootloader.

Is there any such way to configure avrdude, so it won't care about device/programmer specifics and just echo addresses and data? There's so many protocols avrdude supports and I don't have a handy cross reference to know the simplest ones or know if they automatically limit address sizes or other cross checks that one could stumble on. So I thought asking someone in the know would be a good place to start.

Thanks,
Dave.