Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude problem with Attiny13 - works fine in AVRstudi

From: Haberler Michael
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude problem with Attiny13 - works fine in AVRstudio
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 03:40:51 +0100

Am 16.02.2009 um 22:45 schrieb Joerg Wunsch:

As Michael Haberler wrote:

I eventually figured out that the Kee Electronics JTAGICE mkII clone
fails to implement CMD_SPI_MULTI properly.

I think for the JTAG ICE mkII code, we could even change AVRDUDE to
use "read signature" rather than "spi multi", because there are only
two clones I'm aware of (the Kee Electronics one, and an experimental
version of usbprog, but I'm not sure whether they even do implement
ISP at all), so there's little risk of breaking something else.

it's not just the signature read which is broken - all memory reads using CMD_SPI_MULTI (eeprom, fuses, flash etc) are broken.

so that would mean switching to CMD_READ_{FLASH,EEPROM,FUSE,LOCK,SIGNATURE}_ISP to work around it.

chip erase with avrdude currently doesnt work either, but I havent nailed down why yet.

Anyway, as the STK500v2 implementation of the "read signature" command
is almost identical to using "read multi", there's no real advantage
anyway.  For sure, it would be good if Kee Electronics changed their
firmware for full compliance with the described protocol.

I massaged them a bit and they seem to be willing. Let's see what they come up with.

To be fair, they advertise AVRStudio & IAR compatibility only. Maybe they see the light in a market beyond manufacturer products.

What's interesting with your observation is that obviously, Kee
Electronics really wrote a firmware version of their own.

yes, it's lacking bug-for-bug compatibility at this point

--

a newbie question: why is it when the atmega16 data sheet says in table 116 that the serial programming instruction for chip erase is:

Chip Erase (Program Memory/EEPROM) $AC $80 $00 $00

and in avrdude.conf it says:

chip_erase       = "1 0 1 0  1 1 0 0    1 0 0 x  x x x x",
                   "x x x x  x x x x    x x x x  x x x x";

shouldnt this be more like

chip_erase       = "1 0 1 0  1 1 0 0    1 0 0 0  0 0 0 0",
                   "0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0    0 0 0 0  0 0 0 0";

doesnt make a difference for the bugs in question, just trying to understand whats going on

-Michael