[avrdude-dev] [bug #28744] Can't load bootloader to xmega128a1

From: Alex Forencich
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #28744] Can't load bootloader to xmega128a1
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 18:56:19 +0000

Follow-up Comment #14, bug #28744 (project avrdude):

Actually, I just came up with an elegant solution for this.  I won't submit a
patch for this, since it involves modifying serveral files including
avrdude.conf, but here it is:  since the 'flash' memory is really a
'meta-memory' that's a concatenation of 'application' and 'boot', all you need
to do is change avrdude.conf to show this and then add support in do_op to
break the source file into two parts and write each one individually to
'application' and 'boot'.  Say, for the 128A1, you could have an avrdude.conf
entry that looks like this:

    memory "flash"
        meta       = 1;
        0x00000000 = application;
        0x00020000 = boot;
    ;

Then all do_op needs to do is separate out the segments for application and
flash based on the start addresses and sizes and then write them separately.
The only patch you would need to implement is the rev2 patch by kmahan.

Unfortunately, a change like this to avrdude.conf would require several
disparate changes to implement, but I think it is worth the extra effort for
generalized support for this particular memory configuration.

Also, you should double-check the page sizes listed in avrdude.conf, as I
understand it the 128A and higher should have 512 byte pages instead of 256
byte.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28744>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/