[avrdude-dev] support for bitbanging GPIO lines through gpio-dev

From: Bart Van Der Meerssche
Subject: [avrdude-dev] support for bitbanging GPIO lines through gpio-dev
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:42:25 +0200

Hello list,

Our new Fluksometer hardware version will use a bitbanged SPI bus to communicate between an Atheros AR2317 WiSoC on the main board and an AVR on the sensor board. The AR2317 contains a MIPS 4KEc processor running OpenWRT.

I have used the patch of Radoslav Kolev attached to his message posted to this mailing list [1] as a starting point to construct a bitbanged SPI over GPIO Avrdude programmer using the 'deprecated' gpio-dev instead of gpio-sysfs. This is because the Atheros Backfire build of OpenWRT still uses gpio-dev for driving its GPIO pins. The patches against Avrdude 5.10 are available on Github [2]. Since the Fluksometer is an embedded device having a mere 8MB of flash, we needed to trim Avrdude as much as possible. The 120 and 130 patch in [2] remove all non-gpio programmers and small/old AVRs respectively. Applying these two patches reduces the avrdude/avdude.conf file size from 480k/497k to 169k/309k.

This GPIO programmer on an AR2317 flashes the AVR at about 1kB/sec, which is quite satisfactory.

+1 for #avrdude uses in embedded devices :-)

Best regards,
Bart Van Der Meerssche
Flukso

[1]: http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avrdude-dev/2010-04/msg00003.html