[avrdude-dev] [patch #7559] 'arduino' programmer type DTR transition fix

From: David A. Mellis
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7559] 'arduino' programmer type DTR transition fix
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:52:58 +0000

Follow-up Comment #27, patch #7559 (project avrdude):

I appreciate your desire to make this as portable as possible, but I don't
think we should worry about true RS232 connections for a few reasons:

First, we don't use RS232 for current Arduino boards.  The old serial boards
that did use it don't have auto-reset.

Second, it's not clear how the auto-reset is supposed to be triggered for
RS232 boards.  I'd argue that the behavior of existing Arduino boards (i.e
resetting on a high->low voltage transition of DTR) sets a software standard
(i.e. a 0 to 1 logical transition) for triggering the auto-reset.  So if
someone does make an Arduino-like board with true RS232, they should base its
auto-reset circuitry on this defacto software reset standard - i.e. they
should make their board work with the current code.

Finally, the current code works and I've tested it on multiple operating
systems.  Any changes will require retesting on a variety of configurations.
This doesn't seem worth it for hypothetical future boards whose behavior we
don't know (and therefore can't test).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7559>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/