[avrdude-dev] [bug #28744] Can't load bootloader to xmega128a1

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #28744] Can't load bootloader to xmega128a1
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:15:52 +0000

Follow-up Comment #19, bug #28744 (project avrdude):

The primary reason is: lack of time, vs. different dynamic priorities.
I've been very busy with working on AVaRICE lately, something that has
not been receiving a larger slice of my time-sharing schedule for many
years now.  Naturally, other projects had to be left idle for this.

The second reason is: usually, I walk over the list of bugs and
patches right before a release, rather than anywhere between.  When
doing this, patches that are accompanied by documentation always stand
a much better chance of being integrated.  Btw., when submitting
patches, please stick with the formatting style of the file you are
patching.  This particular patch fails my loose style check for a
number of reasons:

. extra whitspaces around parentheses
. commented-out code (should be dropped)
. adds extra newlines outside of its scope

Finally (and this gets back to the AVaRICE stuff mentioned above):
there are a number of things going wrong with Xmega devices, so a
general overhaul appears to be needed.  It is not yet clear whether a
local solution like the one in the patch is really the way to go
(btw., does it also handle the STK600?)  A good number of Xmega
devices which can be found in the wild now are still missing on the
config file, too.  All this is loosely related to the first paragraph
above: until recently, Xmega devices could not be debugged using a
non-Windows system, which naturally didn't boost my motivation to do
much work for these devices, and resolve all the issues around them.
This has finally changed now.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28744>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/