[avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support

From: Roger Wolff
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:32:28 +0000

Follow-up Comment #22, bug #30559 (project avrdude):

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 04:37:04PM +0000, Rene Liebscher wrote:
> (Using all places in the buffer does not work if you just use head
> and tail, because when it is full you can not decide if it is empty
> or full. Using a content counter would also help.)

FYI, I'm aware of this. I've moved from using bufsize-1 to bufsize
bytes in the buffer when I added the semaphore. The Semaphore is the
content-counter that you suggest.

Based solely on head and tail indeed you cannot decide wether the
buffer is full or empty. however when the read-thread blocks, the
buffer is full, when the mainprogram blocks the buffer is empty.

Using a content-counter is normally dangerous: both sides have to
write it. This would require a "critical section" in both threads.
Anyway, this is a problem I've delegated to the library by using the
semaphores.

As to the problem at hand.... It seems "suddenly" the FT232 comes up
with a big chunk of extra data. It shouldn't do this. It should
provide exactly (to the bit) the amount of data that you write to it.

You have made the proper connections between the FTDI programming pads
and the ICSP header?

        Roger.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30559>

  Message sent via/by Savannah