Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7931] Extended parameters to specify usbtiny U

From: David A. Mellis
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [patch #7931] Extended parameters to specify usbtiny USB VID/PID
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:59:44 -0500

Updating avrdude.conf is easier than updating the source code, sure, but it's
significantly more overhead than passing in command line arguments. My patch
would make it so that you wouldn't need to do either one to use a usbtiny from
a different vendor. (You only need to patch the code once, not once per
usbtiny-variant.) It's important to note that the things I'm trying to support
aren't really new programmers (from the perspective of avrdude); they're
functionally identical to a usbtiny but made by a different company.
Considering the usbtiny is both open-source software and hardware, it seems
perverse to limit its reproduction just because of the USB VID and PID.

What do you think?