Re: [avrdude-dev] PDI capable bitbang programmers?

From: Szymon Ulatowski
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] PDI capable bitbang programmers?
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 01:56:38 +0200

On 05/05/2013 04:53 PM, "Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" wrote:
I have tried - no luck.

The no use of PDI before was caused by not patching the usbasp firmware with your patch - sorry. After application, the PDI mode was selected for my x32a4u part. Might be good to warn the user on lack of support.

true!

But I won't get pass this:

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

The signals look now very correct - but I had to remove the 100n reset capacitor, as it did not get discharged at the 60-80 khz PDI_CLOCK (had to use 1K series resistor instead of 820R+220R, but should not matter).

...and this is the sad effect, that for some people it works and for some it fails (see the blogspot comments...) but there are too few potential users (anyone seriously engaged into xmega just buys a JTAG programmer) and noone has motivation AND knowledge AND hardware resources (2ch oscilloscope is enough) at the same time to debug the problem ;-) i can only test it on the only xmega chip i have - and it works :-P

sz.