[avrdude-dev] [bug #39033] Support for ATxmegaXXXA4U devices

From: Brian Mayton
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #39033] Support for ATxmegaXXXA4U devices
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 18:30:25 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Brian Mayton
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

avrdude appears to be able to communicate with an ATxmega128A4U in PDI mode,
but an attempt to program flash memory fails at verification; the memory
appears to read back as 0xFF.

It looks like avrdude can read the flash correctly; if I program the chip
using Atmel Studio, a quick glance at 'dump flash' in avrdude's terminal mode
looks like an intact interrupt table.  A chip erase from avrdude also appears
to work; the flash reads back as 0xff after executing avrdude -e.

I captured the attached traces from Atmel Studio successfully programming (and
then reading back) the flash memory.  The hex file used is the appropriate
xmega DFU bootloader image from AVR1916.  The files were captured with Atmel
Studio 6 running in VMware and wireshark on Linux capturing with the usbmon
facility.  I would be happy to capture additional operations if it would be
useful.

File Attachments:

Date: Tue 21 May 2013 06:30:25 PM GMT  Name: atxmega128a4u_dumps.tar.bz2
Size: 42kB   By: bmayton