Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40615] Doesn't work with JTAGICE3 firmware 3.18

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40615] Doesn't work with JTAGICE3 firmware 3.18
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 16:21:06 +0100

As Andy Somerville wrote:

> I left off with avrdude connecting, but with the JTAGICE3 not responding to
> commands as if the protocol had changed or something.

Good news: someone from Atmel just approached me.  They have plans to
publish the specification of the new protocol, and would be willing to
hand out advance copies (under some kind of lose NDA, like "don't
redistribute this document yourself right now, but if you write code
based on it, that's fine") to anyone who is interested in starting to
adapt the AVRDUDE code for the new protocol.

Btw., the very same protocol is used on the embedded debugger of the
Xplained pro development boards (EDBG).

So if anyone is interested in pushing the development here, drop me a
note, and I'll get you in contact with the Atmel fellow you could get
your copy of that document right now.  (I'm not sure when I would be
able to find the required time slot myself.)

Technically, since the protocol differs that significantly from the
previous JTAGICE3 protocol, I think it would be worth giving this a
completely new protocol name, like "jtag3v3" ("v3" for "firmware
version 3") or so, just like we did with stk500v2 in the past.  Of
course, I don't mind if someone would try pushing it into the existing
jtag3 implementation, but if it's going too much of hassle, better
completely fork the implementation.  Using "edbg" as the new name is
also possible, as it covers more than just the JTAGICE3 anyway.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/