Re: [avrdude-dev] mcprog and libhidapi

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] mcprog and libhidapi
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:10:45 +0100

As Stefan Rupp wrote:

The problem is that in Mac OS X, these days (and for quite some time
actually) it's not any more supported to detach HID devices from the
kernel driver, so libusb just can't grab them. As I wanted this to be
supported on all major platforms, I started looking around and came
across libhidapi[1].

I stumbled across that as well for the CMSIS-DAP devices (JTAGICE3
with current firmware, and Atmel-ICE).  They are also HID-based, and
have the same trouble you are describing under OSX as well as under
recent versions of Windows (tried on Windows 7).

Since OpenOCD talks to the very same devices quite well using
libhidapi, I already thought about using it here, too.  It's just I
haven't come around so far to rewrite the code.

..., but I haven't found anyone willing
to compile avrdude for Windows yet, so that's untested so far :)

I provide the Windows binaries as cross compilations (using the
mingw32 GCC) done under FreeBSD.  I think you should be able to do
this on OSX, too.  The only thing is that there are (to the best of my
knowledge) no binary packages around for libelf and probably also
libhidapi, so you have to compile them into the cross-compilation
environment yourself manually.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/