[avrdude-dev] [patch #8719] Support Over-the-Air bootloading with XBeeBo

From: David Sainty
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [patch #8719] Support Over-the-Air bootloading with XBeeBoot
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 04:23:02 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I have developed a solution for flashing AVR devices via XBee Series 2
Over-The-Air with avrdude (with no extra hardware, just a matching bootloader
on the AVR).

The avrdude side requires a new "xbee" programmer type, which is essentially
the Arduino module (as used with optiboot), but with the I/O streams
encapsulated in a packet-based protocol delivered over XBee's API, and XBee
GPIO pin toggling to perform the hard reset. The code is just a single
xbee.c/xbee.h, with associated changes to register the new programmer type, so
it's very self-contained.

The bootloader is at https://github.com/davidsainty/xbeeboot

It is an extension of optiboot, fits [pretty snugly!] in 1kB, and auto-detects
whether the standard "arduino" (~STK500v1) or "xbee" protocol is in use. I.e.
the bootloader can be flashed via standard unmodified avrdude (at a reduced
baud rate, XBee defaults to 9600bps) or flashed OTA by avrdude with the new
"xbee" programmer type.

Over-The-Air it takes around 3 minutes to flash around 20kB, and a comparable
time to verify. I'm personally thrilled it's so fast, I would have been
excited even if it was an order of magnitude slower than that :)

File Attachments:

Date: Wed 19 Aug 2015 04:23:02 AM GMT  Name: patch-xbee  Size: 29kB   By:
dsainty

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/download.php?file_id=34675>