axiom-legal

Re: [Axiom-legal] RE: Aldor and Axiom

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-legal] RE: Aldor and Axiom
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:52:48 +0100

On 02/14/2006 05:16 AM, C Y wrote:
--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

No, GPL won't quite work - Aldor.org requires complete rights
to derivative works, IIRC.
No where does it say that Aldor.org reserves *exclusive* rights.

Well as I understand the license it says. If a person A distributes modified forms of whatever you take from aldor.org, he must follow the modified BSD that is stated in the first 3 items of the Aldor Public License 1.0.

The additional fourth item says that A has to submit the modified work to aldor.org and let them do with it whatever they like. They could release it under any license close it and/or sell it.

If A chooses to release the modifications (and the orignal source code)
again under APL1.0 (I think the fourth item carries over) in source form, then whatever aldor.org does with the modified work, it stays open source. That basically sounds like a fork or like distributing identical software under different licenses.

I am not really agains giving back modifications to aldor.org. The idea probably is that there should not be diverging versions of the Aldor language. Note that the aldor language could still be slightly modified to meet peoples needs. Stephen Watt already had some ideas when I last spoke to him two years ago. (Unfortunately there are no people who implement that.)

Hmm.  I guess that's true, so long as Aldor.org didn't want to ever
release a commercial binary only version using someone else's
derivative work.  My recollection was that they do have that right
under the Aldor license, but IANAL (as they say on slashdot).

Aldor has the concept of libraries and there is libaldor and libalgebra, basically which are under APL1.0. If one changes them, then the code currently must be given back to aldor.org. If you write another library which just uses those libraries, then this new library can be released without the need to hand it to aldor.org. So that basically says, if we turn libaldor and libalgebra into pamphlets (correct bugs, add a testsuite) that should be given back to aldor.org. If we build libaxiom on top of libalgebra, then aldor.org cannot claim any rights on that code.

Who interprets the Aldor Public License differently?

The issue might eventually be who can incorporate Aldor into
non-open source software.

Anyone can do this (close the source) under the APL1.0 as long as they give the sources to aldor.org. However, aldor.org is allowed to release these sources.

I think Aldor.org has complete rights to any derivative work based off
of aldor, not just the right to open up the code.

No. the APL does not state derivative work, only "modifications". A new library (libaxiom) based on either libaldor or libalgebra is not a modification of of them.

I am also in favour of pushing the availability of Aldor as open
source by "jumping the gun" (to use an Olympics-style analogy :)
and releasing Aldor source now with the Axiom distribution.

Given that Stephen Watt is in favour of opening the Aldor compiler, we should discuss of how the Aldor library sources could be integrated as a basis of Axiom. I would like that.

But even if the APL allows us redistribution, I would inform aldor.org, in particular Stephen Watt that we are going to do this. The Aldor and Axiom projects should stay on good terms with each other and eventually, maybe, become just one project (consisting of several subprojects).

But I think we have to consider this strategy carefully - particularly the licensing issues.

Leave the code from aldor.org under the APL, that doesn't hurt. But we modify it by putting it into pamphlet form. Oh, I'd love to see ALLPROSE be of some help here. :-)

For the moment, I would say we make it easy to install against an
existing Aldor, provide good instructions how how to get it installed,
and leave it at that, I guess.  Anybody messing with Aldor at this
point will have the skillset to get it working from the instructions to
begin with.

I think that one could assume that people who want to program in Aldor know how to install it. But it would also be possible to take the .tgz files from aldor.org and install the right binaries (the Aldor compiler) during the installation of Axiom. The library sources would be in a separate aldor/src subtree of Axiom as .pamphlets. The APL would allow that as I see it. But it would always be friendly to tell Stephen Watt about what we are going to do.

P.S.  I don't suppose we could try to decompile
(http://boomerang.sourceforge.net/,
http://www.backerstreet.com/rec/rec.htm) Aldor?  Does the license or
legal situation forbid that?  It wouldn't be pretty but at least it
would be source code.

I am against decompilation. Not that I see that APL would forbid it, but the aldor compiler surely has some bugs and they would remain there for centuries probably because the source code is then even more unreadable as it is now, I guess.

Ralf