ayttm-users

Re: [Ayttm-users] ayttm constantly rewriting contacts...unusable while

From: Michael Gurski
Subject: Re: [Ayttm-users] ayttm constantly rewriting contacts...unusable while doing so
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:44:31 -0500

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:55:07PM +0100, Colin Leroy wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2003 at 14h43, Michael Gurski wrote:
> > (But what I'd love to see is being able to register for accounts via
> > ayttm)
>
> For jabber ? I noticed it's broken, yes. Does it work if you have a valid
> account ?

Actually, for any service that'll support it. :-)  I remember having
to futz around and download some other ICQ client to get that set up.
The rest is, well, hazy.  I'm actually toying with my own jabber
server off and on, and saw in the Admin Guide
<http://www.jabber.org/admin/adminguide.html> that registration seems
to be a query/response type setup ("Checkpoint #2"
<http://www.jabber.org/admin/adminguide.html#config-filesystem>), and
fairly straightforward.  And yes, the jabber module appears to work.

> Could you point me to another opensource (has too be OSS, I use linux on
> powerpc) Jabber client which allows registering ? I'd like to try and fix
> it, Jabber seems cool.

Sure.  Just searching on freshmeat:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/centericq/  Support for registering
Jabber and ICQ -- GPL

http://freshmeat.net/projects/gaim/  Support for registering w/ Jabber
(manual has pointers to registering w/ other services...can I file a
docbug for AYTTM? :-) ) -- GPL

Even though I haven't to date used the jabber protocol much at all,
it's looking to me like it's where I'm personally going to be moving,
since its advantages (running your own server while interoperating w/
others, gateways to other IM services) seem really compelling to me.

Mike

--
Michael A. Gurski             (opt. [firstname].)address@hidden
Hail Eris! -><- All Hail Discordia!  O-  http://www.pobox.com/~[lastname]

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption
abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to
write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast
approaching."  --Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC